Intergroup Meeting Proposed Minutes
Wednesday, September 1st, 2021, 7-8:30 PM
The following are Proposed Minutes (i.e. not yet approved) from the Intergroup Meeting held on Wednesday, September 1, 2021.
Intergroup coordinates services which individual groups in San Francisco and Marin cannot provide. We bring these services, as well as service opportunities, to our Member Groups. Our Intergroup observes the intent and spirit of A.A.’s Twelve Traditions and Twelve Concepts for World Service, as well as A.A.’s Three Legacies of Recovery, Unity, and Service.
7:00 Getting Started
- Open with the Serenity Prayer
- Call to order. Statement of Purpose
- Review the minutes and agenda
- Roll Call
- 62 groups represented: 38 from San Francisco, 24 from Marin
- New IGRs, Visitors, AA Anniversaries
- New IGRs: None
- Visitors: Jackie B, visiting from SF General Service
- Anniversaries: Brian C – 21 years, John R – 26 years, Karen G – 39 years! Happy Birthday!
- Approval of agenda (housekeeping item)
- Motion to Approve: Charles M
- Second: Jerry G
- Approval of last month’s Intergroup Meeting minutes (housekeeping item)
- Motion to Approve: Brian C
- Second: John R
7:15 Officer Reports
- Board Chair – Charlie B
- Website Refresh presentation by Drew H
- Drew presented background on how the website refresh came to be and navigated through the site to show IGs what each page looks like
- Background: COVID really shifted things for the website in terms of the needs of the fellowship and also technology needs in order to really expedite many changes that needed to be done in terms of getting information to the fellowship, coordinating meeting changes, dealing with Zoom bombers and tech set up, sharing health orders and things that needed to be shared with great urgency
- Maury met with lots of IGs from around the country, what came of that essentially was the idea that we could have a suite of plugins to help and share with other Intergroups and fellowships so that they could implement some of the rapid changes we did during the pandemic
- Gathering of content for the website was coordinated with SFGS to make sure everything was reflected in accordance with our traditions and cooperating with other service entities
- Best practices for website: how do we engage our various users on the site? User profiles fall into buckets – newcomers, people looking for meeting info, members looking to be of service, and the professional community
- Largest icon on the homepage is “Find A Meeting” with the personas all underneath, some copy about who those personas are, more site map links at the bottom
- Literature links are connected directly to GSO to keep updated
- Currently working on service committee pages / sections to help tailor content and increase engagement with the various committees
- Call to action: IGRs please go to the site (was provided via chat during the meeting but is not included here since it is not yet live) please test it and click through things, we want your feedback, tell us if you find any bugs (send those to firstname.lastname@example.org please)!
- Tell us what you like what you don’t like so we can continue to improve and change this website for the needs of our fellowship
- Many people expressed gratitude and excitement for this new website and kudos to Drew and his team for the job well done!
- Lisa B: What is in the Spanish version?
- Drew – thank you yes there is an “En Espanol” page specific to Spanish speaking AAs in SF/Marin
- Also the site works on mobile
- Ed: Is there a projection for the rollout?
- Drew – good question. Target was founders day and we are past that, but we want feedback from IGRs before officially rolling it out
- Peggy: text is very small, is this due to the presentation or will it be this small on the browser?
- Drew – thank you, that is an excellent point. This is something we will be discussing with accessibility and how to best go about it – also it depends on the browser
- John R: is the design frozen or will it be continuing to change?
- Drew – It is not frozen – we will be continuing to update and improve this based on the needs expressed by everyone and as time goes on, we just wanted to get most of the static info out
- Michele G: members and groups is where the buzz and point are but doesn’t say anything about literature, just linking to different areas
- Drew – thank you – That is feedback we got from committee chairs and definitely we are working on how to fix that
- Phil S: I want to request Bridging the Gap as a committee on there but I will send an email to operations to ask this
- Drew reminded everyone that this website won’t be static this will be a moving target as the needs of the committees and fellowship change we will continue to make changes
- Treasurer – Jim M.
- Group Contributions: 15,344 > 7,701 under budget for July and 13,777 under budget YTD
- Individual Contributions: 10,657 > 6,273 over budget for July and 13,777 over budget YTD (not a typo, just inexplicably close to the group contributions)
- Operating Expenses: 32,385 > 4,737 over budget for July and 16,389 under budget YTD
- Unrestricted Cash: 46,915 > equal to approximately 1.75x monthly operating expenses
- Rating for July 2021 is “Good”
- Operating at a bit of a loss (5k) but this is not super worrying YTD it’s actually at 2,800 and we were expecting to be at 17k based on history which we generally make up in Nov with gratitude month
- Faithful Fivers – July 2021 we’re at 280 can we get to 350 by the end of the year?!
- Please look at the packet for detailed narrative, balance sheet and other financial info
7:30 Intergroup Committee Reports (up to 2 minutes/report)
- Tech Committee – Alex B.
- Please continue to update your meetings on the website, thanks!
- Printed schedules – ad hoc generating PDF meeting list – food for thought: QR code on business cards? This would save money and it would be continually updated rather than having to re create a PDF and format it frequently
- The Point – John B.
- The September issue just dropped!
- Always looking for new content – submit word or audio to email@example.com
- October topic ideas: “turn the mess into a message” – “the steps are in order for a reason” – step 10 – tradition 10
- The Point meets on the 2nd sat of every month at 12p on zoom
- Archives – Mike
- Meeting in Central office on 3rd Sunday at 12 also zoom
- Excited about the website refresh! There’s an opportunity here too for members of the fellowship to upload things of archival significance to the archives page
- Organizing everything: want to help us decide what to keep in the archives? Come join us!
- Public Relations – Rudy
- With changes to schools back in person this may bring opportunities to go back to do presentations in school at some point
- Info card / business card with contact info nearly ready for production and distribution
- Biggest need is more committee members!
- Monthly meeting on 2nd Monday at 7pm
- SF Teleservice – Luke H.
- Need volunteers!
- 3rd Monday at 6pm on zoom
- Last month there was a significant revamp on the teleservice manual (welcome to join our business meeting just email firstname.lastname@example.org) to rewrite it
- Sunshine Club – Clayton B
- Due to COVID, unlikely to bring in person meetings to homebound members at this time – not totally saying no to those requests but they will be reviewed very seriously for best practices and to keep everyone safe
- Phone calls are still happening
- Ad-Hoc Inventory Committee – Chip G.
- Selected a facilitator!
- Next meeting is 9/8 at 7pm! All IGRs are invited to participate
- Please email one question / topic to Chip G
7:45 Service Committee Liaison Reports (up to 2 minutes/report)
- SF General Service – Alison T.
- Final Conference report from 71st Annual Conference is available to those interested (can provide recommendations for how to read this doc as well)
- Sat 10/9 is Unity Day! New volunteer orientations for IG committees from 11am-1pm. Safety workshop from 2pm-3:30pm
- CNCA will take inventory on Nov 6 at the Fall Assembly (occurs every 2 years) – asking for help to collect inventory questions from districts groups and members
- Marin Teleservice – Jillian E.
- Decided at last meeting Tues night that we’re going back to Zoom – still 4th Tues at 645 for orientation and business at 730 but no longer in person
- There’s an opening for a Wednesday coordinator until end of January, spread the word
- SF Bridging the Gap – Phil S.
- New SF specific pamphlets have been printed and are in Central Office
- Work with Public Information at Recovery Day
- Cooperating with PI at upcoming 9/17 recovery fair archdiocese at St. Mary’s
- We meet the 1st Tuesday of every month
7:55 Old Business
- No official old business to really discuss, we have Nancy from Accessibilities who can present (this was New Business last month)
- Nancy from Accessibilities
- SF/Marin Accessibility Committee kickoff meeting on Wed 9/15 at pm please join if you have opinions or suggestions! We want to hear from you!
- email@example.com email is now working
8:04 New Business
8:05 What’s On Your Mind
- A number of people noted that they are sad to see Maury leaving and also expressed gratitude for her service all these years.
- Charles M: WRLS is this weekend! Starts Friday at Noon – talking about accessibility, there will be ASL interpreters and have also secured access to workshops for deaf and deaf-blind members which is awesome!
- Jackie B: Flyer for SF unity day please share with your fellows!
- Side note: about the QR codes – I love tech but i’m not sure it will be able to reach everyone
- Jim B: Been through some stuff over the years and I’ve dealt with IG issues and there’s so much negativity happening behind the scenes right now – I am calling on people to email the board and ask Maury to rescind her resignation!
- Joel M: with the QR code, when would it be available? How to access?
- Alex B: the QR code idea is not in practice just as an idea for how to deal with the fact that meetings are changing so rapidly from week to week
- Group Conscience to end the meeting early? (Lots of yes signs from the crowd) Consensus to end the meeting early at 8:19pm
8:19 Targeted Message
- Please submit in person meeting listings
- Join a committee
- Subscribe to the Buzz!
Adjourn with the Responsibility Statement
Next Intergroup Meeting is Wednesday, October 6, 2021. Our monthly meeting will continue to be held online per local guidelines from the health department until further notice. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Month Ended July 2021
For July 2021, Gross Profit (Income minus COGS) was $26,691 which was under budget by $3,253 due to lower than expected Contributions. Gross Profit was $1,432 under budget year to date.
Total Expenses for July were $32,385, over budget by $4,737. Total Expenditures are $16,389 under budget year to date. This was primarily due to lower technology expenditures awaiting budget approval; but expenses were under budget in every category.
The result was still a net loss of $5,414 for the month, $7,900 worse than expected (under budget). This leaves the fellowship with a $2,813 net loss year to date ($14,931 over budget).
Group Contributions for July were $15,344, under budget by $7,701. Group contributions are $13,777 under budget year to date. Individual Contributions for July were $10,657, over budget by $4,384. Individual contributions are $13,777 over budget year to date.
Total Unrestricted Cash on the Balance Sheet as of July 2021 is $46,915 which is 1.75x of monthly operating expenses.
Financial rating for July 2021 is “Good”.
OVERALL RATING: GOOD
INTERGROUP FINANCE RATING SYSTEM
Every month we rate our monthly finances as “Excellent”, “Good”, “Fair” or “Poor”. Generally speaking, here are the definitions of those terms:
EXCELLENT: We exceeded our budget. Our income was greater than our expenses for the month and we have more than two months’ worth of operating expenses in unrestricted cash balances. Operating expenses are running at roughly $26K/month, so an unrestricted cash balance above $52K ranks excellent. The last “excellent” rating was May of 2021.
GOOD: We are meeting our budget. Our net income for the month, or for the YTD, was slightly greater than our expenses and we’d have approximately 1.5 – 2 months of operating expenses in unrestricted cash balances. Intergroup was last rated “good” in June 2021.
FAIR: We are not meeting our budget. Our expenses were greater than our income for the month and for the YTD – and our unrestricted cash balance would be somewhere between 1 and 1.5x our operating expenses.
POOR: We are not meeting our budget and our unrestricted cash balances fell below one month of operating expenses. The last time we were “poor” was in December 2016.