Intergroup Meeting Proposed Minutes
Wednesday, July 7th, 2021, 7-8:30 PM
The following are Proposed Minutes (i.e. not yet approved) from the Intergroup Meeting held on Wednesday, July 7, 2021.
Intergroup coordinates services which individual groups in San Francisco and Marin cannot provide. We bring these services, as well as service opportunities, to our Member Groups. Our Intergroup observes the intent and spirit of A.A.’s Twelve Traditions and Twelve Concepts for World Service, as well as A.A.’s Three Legacies of Recovery, Unity, and Service.
7:00 Getting Started
- Open with the Serenity Prayer
- Call to order and Statement of Purpose
- Review the minutes and agenda
- Roll Call: 57 groups represented: 32 from San Francisco, 25 from Marin
- New IGRs, Visitors, AA Anniversaries
- New IGRs: Charles – Castro Monday Big Book Study, Kimberly – Gratitude Center 6am, Sam – Visitor from Grat Center, Kim is taking over previous IGR commitment
- Visitors: Jackie B (Chair of SFGS, filling in for Allison T liaison), Simi (IGR in southern CA)
- Birthdays: Caitlin – 3 yrs, Drew – 20 yrs, Jackie B – 15 yrs, Marty – 29 yrs, James H – 2 yrs, Chuck B – 4 yrs, Gabrielle – 13 yrs, Marie – 8 yrs
- Approval of agenda
- Motion to approve: Peggy H
- Seconded: Brian C with hand raised
- Approval of last month’s Intergroup Meeting minutes
- Motion to approve: Caitlin
- Seconded: Brian C
- Objections and Comments
- Kathleen C: I know we don’t necessarily adhere to Robert’s Rules of Order but generally when there’s a motion, it follows that there should be a second, then discussion, then a vote; we’ve done for the last few meetings, maybe is something we usually do but wanted to point it out
- Maureen: Are we doing the same thing as in the concepts where you take the minority opinion as well?
- Nikki: I’m not sure, it seems we are being asked to do a formal vote which we can move forward with. We do have a motion and a second for the agenda, if all voting members could please indicate with their reaction button Yes or No. I’m seeing 84 people in attendance but only about 30 people have voted.
- Maury: Not everyone here is a voting member, so we should review. You are eligible to vote if you are an IGR who has completed orientation and been to at least one prior meeting or if you are an elected alternate and voting in place of the meetings IGR. Intergroup Committee Chairs may also vote.
- Nikki: I’m not seeing any No reactions, wondering if that means there is no minority opinion and so we can move forward.
- Alan G: I want to note that this is not how IG has done this process; if there was an objection then we might discuss it and then go to a vote but for many years we have not gone to a formal vote with the approval of the meeting agenda and previous meeting’s minutes. We could discuss changing this procedure in a subsequent meeting.
- Jaime G: I object to the minutes. Chad and another person made a motion last month and those two people were shot down in the process because they hadn’t submitted the motion within 2 weeks. I find it difficult to make note of that when the June minutes were given to us 24 hours ago, therefore preventing individuals from being able to review and potentially bring up a motion that needs to be re-reviewed. We cannot review in this amount of time.
- Maury P: The proposed June minutes were actually sent out the week following the June meeting via email as they usually are, to all registered IGRs, Alternates and Committee Chairs to review. The slide deck was also attached, which is standard practice. They were sent out a second time just last night (usually happens a day or so prior) because of the holiday, board changeover and people also traveling. I would appreciate our new officers being given some slack in this transition and encourage IGRs to check for this email monthly.
- Nikki: To keep us moving forward, there were no objections to the agenda, the agenda was voted on and approved, so it seems we should do the same with the minutes. I’ve noted an objection to the minutes and would like to move forward with a vote since we did vote on the agenda.
- Maury: I want to also mention that on page 2 of the agenda is how to get a motion on the agenda. This is an Intergroup-approved policy, not a board decision or an executive director decision. I believe we have been taken to task about this exact procedure previously so I encourage everyone to read through this part of the agenda.
- Chad: My proposal for a motion was well within the 2 weeks limit; I was not informed it would not be on the agenda until 5 hours before the meeting with no information and no reason given. Let’s be up front with what is happening here with proposed motions – it was on time, the board just did not see fit to put it on.
- Nikki: Continuing to move us forward here. Jaime G’s objection to the minutes has been noted. Can we take a vote? Yes or No reactions please. Correction: 2 objections. Ok moving forward with the minutes approved.
7:15 Officer Reports
- Board Chair: Charlie B
- New Board Chair, welcoming new board members and thanking outgoing members Andy, Patrick, and Renee for your service
- Website update: we are getting closer on the website refresh, it is looking really good and it’s about to go into quality assurance nitpicking and hopefully will be doing some testing in August
- Central Office Lease Negotiations: finalizing with landlord another 5 years at current location as soon as this is ratified we will bring it to Intergroup
- Treasurer: Jim M
- New IFAA Treasurer
- Group Contributions (all specific financial information is included with this meeting’s agenda packet): $14,441 for May which is $2531 over budget which is good > YTD we are $5114 under budget which is not so good
- Individual Contributions: $17,134 for May which is $6866 over budget > YTD we are $9289 over budget which is very good
- Operating Expenses: $24,600 is $3048 under budget for May; $2000 was spent on technology (see packet for details) for website development but was actually work that happened in 2020 and YTD we are $16,889 under budget [Correction: The $2K that was paid in Jan 2021 was for work completed in 2020 on the database migration; $2,118 in May 2021 for website development.]
- Unrestricted Cash: end of May we were at $67,793 which is 2.5x monthly operating expenses (target is to have greater than 2 months operating expenses)
- Rating for May is Excellent
- Executive Director: Maury P
- Central Office reopened yesterday and shifted days of operation, now Tuesday through Saturday from 10a-6p. Volunteers will be welcomed back next week and we have 20 volunteer shifts to fill, 1 year sobriety requirement, orientation and need to be vaccinated against COVID to volunteer
- Printed in-person meeting schedule is ready to go but we are holding off on distribution due to so many rapid changes to meetings happening (30 changes happened just yesterday); don’t want to print when it will be outdated so quickly
- Each meeting listed on the online schedule has an Update Meeting Info button – if you know you will need to edit or register as secretary or treasurer this is how you can do that. We would appreciate if you share this with your fellows
- As a reminder, meetings can now be sorted by type (zoom, hybrid, in person)
7:34 Intergroup Committee Reports (up to 2 minutes/report)
- Archives: Mike
- Archives is meeting again in person at Central Office on the 3rd Sunday of the month at 12pm, will also be on Zoom (hybrid meeting)
- The Point: John B
- The Point is our hyper local grapevine type of publication, sharing experience, strength and hope. Audio is also available!
- Always looking for new content – can be written or spoken. For August, since it’s the 8th month, some ideas are to focus on the 8th step, 8th tradition or whatever you want to share
- The Point Committee meets every 2nd saturday of each month at 12pm (via Zoom)
- Sunshine Club: Kate
- Our mission is to bring AA meetings to people who can’t get to them otherwise
- Offering in person meetings following suggested CDC guidelines (or whatever facility is requiring)
- Still offering phone calls to those can’t go online
- Bringing meetings to people’s homes and are in the process of doing the same for Marin General Hospital, bedside meetings (please note vaccination or other requirements will apply for hospital visits)
- Encouraging IGRs to please announce at your meetings!
- We gained over 20 new volunteers in Marin!
- Will be holding an orientation in Marin, and our quarterly business meeting is on July 31st
- Tech Committee: Alex B
- Please update meetings on aasfmarin.org to reflect in person / hybrid / zoom meetings
- IFAA web team is working to process an ad-hoc, downloadable printable schedule
- All are welcome to bring issues / requests for their meetings or groups to our regular monthly meeting – next mtg Monday Aug 2nd at 6pm email@example.com
- Public Relations Committee: Peter M
- 11 SF radio stations were offered PSAs
- Planning on helping with Diversity/Inclusion Town Hall later this year
- Sunday Streets to start happening again at some point
- Calling Card is nearly ready for production and distribution
- Next virtual meeting Mon July 12 email firstname.lastname@example.org for info and mtg pw
- HelpChat Committee: Caitlin P
- Lots of opportunities for service. We have room for more volunteers!
- Many requests for newcomers asking about in person meetings so that Update Meeting button has been super helpful
- Monthly orientations are held on the 3rd Tuesday @ 5pm followed by monthly Business Meeting
- Fellowship Committee: Elena R
- Founders Day – thank you to all who participated!
- Interested in being a committee member? Please email email@example.com
7:47 Service Committee Liaison Reports (up to 2 minutes/report)
- Marin Teleservice: Katharine C.
- Filling in for Gillian
- Next volunteer orientation is on July 27 at 6:45pm and business at 7:30 and it is in person at the Marin Alano Club (this is not a hybrid mtg)
- Thank you to all volunteers and coordinators who have been answering so many calls over the last year!
- SF General Service Chair: Jackie B
- Filling in for Allison
- AA preamble has been revised and is printed in AA Grapevine and La Viña
- Grassroots self-support campaign to help GSO be more self supporting, it’s called $7.34 on 7/31. $7.34 is the cost of services to each member in 2020. If you want to contribute to GSO > www.contribution.aa.org
- Elections for co-chair for SF Bridging the Gap will be held at the next district meeting on 7/13 at 7:30pm
- Next area assembly is on Aug 7- open to all AA members, new non alcoholic trustees
- AA Grapevine / La Viña Instagram is live!
- DCMC Marin District 10: Molly M
- SF and Marin are in the same GS Area (we have a lot of the same things going on)
- If you want a flyer for the CNCA summer assembly on August 7th, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy
- There is going to be a motion at the business meeting that the Trustees Literature Committee develop a graphic novel or series of graphics that depict the first 164 pages of the Big Book. Email Molly if you want to see the powerpoint which explains the details
7:54 Old Business
- Group Inventory Ad-Hoc Committee (Discussion)
- Alan G: IFAA Board member; the ad hoc working group meets tonight directly following this meeting in a breakout room
- We need your support, take the time to add your voice to the process
- We will discuss the when, where, what and how of the inventory
- Will need to eventually have an additional meeting for this inventory as it can’t happen during this meeting since there’s a lot to discuss
- Examples of questions from previous IG Inventories:
- What is my part?
- Do we understand authority and responsibility as they relate to group conscience decisions by the IFAA Board?
- Does my group always consider the welfare of the rest of AA?
- How can Intergroup strengthen the hand of AA?
- Do we encourage the minority opinion to be heard at our meetings?
- Does our group understand the importance of all points of view being heard before a vote is taken?
- Nikki T: CNCA is also doing an inventory and the questions they are asking will be in the slides for this meeting
- Alex B: I strongly support the idea of a group inventory I think it’s a great idea, clear the air, get everyone familiar with procedures, we have a lot of new IGRs and we want to maintain that interest; do a reset and be able to move forward
8:02 New Business
- Resuming In-Person Intergroup Meetings (Discussion)
- Maury P: We haven’t spoken to St. Andrew’s in Marin where we host once every quarter but they are hosting regular in person AA meetings so it is likely we would also be able to meet in person there. The following are protocols and procedures for meeting in person at First Unitarian Church in SF:
- First Unitarian Church has internet we can use if we choose to hold a hybrid meeting
- The church is mandating that we sign in every person who comes to the meeting, attest you are symptom-free upon entry, wear masks 100 percent of time unless all of us can provide proof that 100 percent of participants are vaccinated (which seems like it would be hard to do or problematic)
- Best practices: social distance if you’re not sure of someone else’s vax status and accommodate if people want additional distance or other protective requests
- If and when do we want to resume?
- Probably no meals would be had initially, but do we want to do a hybrid meeting? Want to make sure we provide access to people who wouldn’t be able to come in person
- Jaime G: I make a motion that we have our August meeting in person
- Nikki T: Thank you. At this time, this is a new business item, so it would be carried over to be put to vote next month. Tonight is the discussion phase.
- Jim B: If our meetings will be hybrid, why can’t we say if you’re vaccinated you can come if not you can’t.
- Response from Nikki: I think the facility is requesting the proof of 100 percent vaccination which may pose a challenge for us.
- Chad: I’m wondering if this is a request from the church or is it an overreach of the right-to-decision of our trusted servants. Medical information including vaccination is protected information under HIPAA so to request people give you protected medical information is probably unlawful so we have to consider that as well.
- Chip G: I second Jaime G’s motion.
- Rachel G: I’d like to put in a plug for having a hybrid meeting that will allow more people to have the ability to attend. I’m also worried about people lying about vaccination status like how would you really know?
- Jerry: I’d like to echo Rachel regarding a hybrid meeting – this transition is going to be a process and it’s going to be quite a pivot to go right back to in person it might be difficult to manage; moving forward too quickly seems irresponsible, seems like a good idea to move forward more slowly to hybrid and then to in person
- Amanda: A hybrid meeting seems like a great option as it will help more people stay involved – asking people to show vax cards seems to go against our traditions.
- Sarah D: I’d push for a hybrid meeting for sure.
- Charles M: I’ve been participating in political demonstrations, everybody had masks on and it’s going well; the idea that we can’t mix safely seems to be bending the pole toward fear
- John R: I attend a meeting that just went through process of moving to hybrid from zoom – August may be premature but definitely September it’s going to take us that long to get us set up – the logistics involved with setting up A/V is going to be a lot of work so we should start now – we had 3 meetings and all 3 times had issues to sort out.
- Gabrielle J: Regarding proof of vaccination and privacy, there is a ca.gov website you can go to to register and then you’re able to easily show a QR code from your phone without showing any personal information; in thinking about tradition 1 and preserving the group as a whole, as we move forward, in thinking about group unity, sometimes we have to put the discomfort of one aside for the benefit of the whole.
- Darryl: Excellent points from Rachel – I don’t see zoom meetings going away I think they serve a significant number of members and some prefer it we should recognize we’re in a new world too, it’s not about fear but about new technology which allows us to expand our reach
- Ayn: Talking about the group staying together, I live far away from SF and I wouldn’t be able to come to this meeting without zoom; also want to note we should respect and accept where everyone is at if they want to wear a mask or if they don’t feel comfortable without one we meet them where they are at
- Lisa B: It does seem premature to start for August. Also regarding the guidelines, it is the facility’s choice and those are the guidelines we have to follow we are supposed to follow the most strict guidelines if they supercede the the state guidelines; if church says we have to be vaxxed or else we wear masks then that’s what we have to do
- Rob: I’d like to echo what Lisa said; often we talk about our rights and not our responsibilities, to the church we are their guests and we follow their rules; in terms of HIPAA, I work in a healthcare field and want to note it is actually allowable for organizations to ask for proof of vaccination upon entry it is not a violation. It seems the easiest solution would just be to have everyone wear masks because the idea of trying to police people at the door is probably going to cause problems.
8:25 What’s On Your Mind
- Jaime G: There’s a rumor that Leanne is not going to be able to be a board member anymore. What are you going to do about the vacancy and how come it has not been mentioned at this meeting?
- Alex: I would particularly like to thank our new treasurer Jim for being so informative and explicit about the budget and those who are concerned about it I really think should take a look at that; thanks to all
8:28 Targeted Message
- Please submit in person meeting listings
- Service opportunity at Central Office – 20 volunteers needed
- Printed meeting schedules coming soon
- Subscribe to The Buzz!
Adjourn with the Responsibility Statement
Breakout rooms (optional) open until 9:00 PM
Next Intergroup Meeting is Wednesday, August 4, 2021. Our monthly meeting will continue to be held online per local guidelines from the health department until further notice. Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Month Ended May 2021
For May 2021, Gross Profit (revenue minus COGS) was $32,144 this was over budget by $9,254 due to higher than expected Contributions. Gross Profit is $2,499 over budget year to date.
Total Operating Expense for May was $24,600, under budget by $3,048. Total Expenditures are $16,889 under budget year to date. This is primarily due to budget being allocated for technology work that has not yet been spent and less than expected committee expenses.
The result is a Net Operating Surplus of $7,775 for the month, this is $12,354 over budget. This leaves the fellowship with a $8,426 surplus year to date ($19,267 over budget).
Group Contributions for May were $14,441, over budget by $2,531. Group contributions are $5,114 under budget year to date. Individual Contributions for May were $17,134, over budget by $6,866. Individual contributions are $9,289 over budget year to date.
Total Unrestricted Cash for May 2021 (adjusted for payables) was $67,793. Unrestricted Cash is about 2.5x monthly operating expenses.
The rating for May 2021 is “Excellent”.
OVERALL RATING: EXCELLENT
INTERGROUP FINANCE RATING SYSTEM
Every month we rate our monthly finances as “Excellent”, “Good”, “Fair” or “Poor”. Generally speaking, here are the definitions of those terms:
EXCELLENT: We exceeded our budget. Our income was greater than our expenses for the month and we have more than two months’ worth of operating expenses in unrestricted cash balances. Operating expenses are projected at roughly $27K/month, so we’d have over $54K in unrestricted cash balances for the month. Intergroup has been “excellent” since March 2021.
GOOD: We are meeting our budget. Our income for the month, or for the YTD, was slightly greater than our expenses and we’d have approximately 1.5 – 2 months of operating expenses in unrestricted cash balances. Intergroup was last rated “good” in February 2021.
FAIR: We are not meeting our budget. Our expenses were greater than our income for the month and for the YTD – and our unrestricted cash balance would be somewhere between 1 and 1.5x our operating expenses.
POOR: We are not meeting our budget and our unrestricted cash balances fell below one month of operating expenses. The last time we were “poor” was in December 2016.