How to Maintain Anonymity in an Online Zoom Meeting
When you join a Zoom meeting, you will see a screen “Join a Meeting.” and a box with your name in it. You can change your name in the box before joining a meeting so that you maintain anonymity.
Before joining a meeting, consider these other options:
- If you’re concerned about your house showing in the background, sit with your back facing a wall.
- You can dial in from your phone so that only your phone number appears and no video appears.
- Use headphones if you don’t want others in your household to hear.
During a meeting, you can also:
- You can temporarily turn off your camera and turn it back on if needed by clicking or tapping the Stop Video button in the toolbar.
- If you’re concerned about being seen on camera at all, you can always disable your video in the Zoom Settings.
- Open your Zoom app on your desktop.
- Click on Settings.
- On the Audio tab, click the checkbox ‘Always mute the microphone when joining a meeting’ at the bottom of the screen.
- On the Video tab, click the checkbox ‘ Always turn off video when joining meeting’ at the bottom of the page under the Meetings heading.
After clicking on the Settings icon (the little gear), you will see the Settings screen where you can change the Audio and Video settings.