As of midnight, March 16, San Francisco and Marin Counties have been issued “Shelter in Place” orders. In lieu of physical meetings, our membership has quickly established remote (Phone / Online) meetings. Central Office is working with GSO and the NY Intergroup resources to establish “Zoom Rooms” for a longer-term online meeting solution.
Many meetings are using Zoom to transition to online meetings.
Getting a Zoom Account
Go to Zoom.us and click “Sign Up For Free” to create an account.
Determine if you’d like to use a free or paid Zoom account.
- Free Account: Free accounts are available on Zoom to schedule one-time 40 minute meetings up to 100 participants.
- Paid Account: If you’d like to create a recurring meeting with up to 100 participants, similar to a weekly AA meeting, consider signing up for the paid options multiple/recurring 1hr+ meetings with up to 100 participants costs only $14.99/monthly or up to 300 for $19.99/month. Or you can find someone that already has a paid account to share with as many A.A.s have already signed up for these.
- Click on ” Plans and Pricing” and purchase the $14.99 Package. Then select ‘Monthly’ billing instead of ‘Annual’ and checkout.
Set Up Meetings for Anonymity
Go to Account Settings.
Turn Off Recordings:
- Click on the Recordings link on the left.
- On the right side of the page, turn off the Local and Cloud recording features and click Save.
Turn Off Participant Controls:
- Click on the Settings link on the left.
- On the right side of the page, turn off: Autosaving chats, file transfer, screen sharing, virtual background, and remote control.
Schedule a Meeting
- Click on Schedule a Meeting
- Check the box for ‘Recurring’ and configure recurring frequency/days.
- Uncheck “Require meeting password” and Check “Mute participants on entry”
- Click Save
- On the confirmation page, click on “Copy the Invitation Link.” and paste it onto a separate document. You will use the information to report your meeting.
Report Your New Meeting to Central Office
Fill out our List a New Meeting form so we can both add and remove you from the appropriate schedule.
Review these articles on AA Online Meetings:
Familiarize yourself with the Zoom support center.
AAs can now connect to your meeting with a single click, touch, or phone call. And for meetings with sponsees, Zoom is always free for one:one meetings. Please consider this as information sharing only – in support of our common welfare and personal recovery – and not an endorsement of any outside enterprise.