Intergroup News | October 2019

This is an unofficial summary of the October 2019 Intergroup meeting provided for convenience; it is not intended to be the completed approved minutes. For a complete copy of the minutes and full committee reports see “Intergroup” on our website

Our Intergroup exists to support the groups in their common purpose of carrying the A.A. message to the still suffering alcoholic by providing and coordinating services that are difficult for the individual groups to execute.

The Intercounty Fellowship has been organized by, and is responsible to, the member groups in San Francisco and Marin for the purpose of coordinating the services that individual groups cannot provide.

The meeting was held on Wednesday, October 2, 2019, at the First Unitarian Universalist Center, 1187 Franklin Street in San Francisco. The meeting was started with a call to order and the Serenity Prayer. Baskets for dinner were passed. The September 2019 minutes and the October 2019 agenda were approved.

Standing Reports

Board Chair, Alan G. We are working with other Intergroups to find a way to print schedules directly from our website ( The Governance committee is still working on revising the By-laws.

Treasurer, Renee T. Our rating for August is Excellent. We have received a bequest. Our Operating Expenses are currently under budget. See the Treasurer’s Report at the end of this summary. A reminder November is Gratitude Month. Question: What is the maximum amount an individual can donate? Answer: It is a maximum of $5,000 a year for an individual; a bequest can be $10,000. An idea has been presented to talk about raising the limit. Question: Can groups contribute through Venmo to the “GG Intergroup” user?  Answer: That is just for paying for dinner at the monthly Intergroup meeting. There is another way to accept online contributions via the website. Regarding the 2020 Budgeting: Committee chairs will need to fill out a spreadsheet for next year. The due date is November 4, 2019. Question: How does each committee figure out printing costs for their committee? Answer: That information will be sent to the committees in an upcoming email.

Executive Director, Maury P. (at the Central Office/Intergroup Conference), Patrick (sub) The upcoming Volunteer Appreciation Dinner, hosted by IFAA, will be in November in San Francisco. The Board will bring entrees and the IGRs will bring side dishes. It is a lovely event!

Intergroup Committee Reports

The Point, John B. Call for November articles on the topic of the 11th Step/Tradition/Concept. Contact The October Issue is out on the website. Some issues will be printed for people who don’t have Internet access. We meet on the 2nd Saturday of each month at 12:30 pm at Central Office, 1821 Sacramento Street in San Francisco.

Archives, Kim S. I attended the 23rd National Archives Workshop in September. Discussion revolved around “Collection Scope and Police,” “How to Archive in the Cloud, and “Archives, Anonymity and Ethics.” Our next History Talk will be on October 27, 2019, on the topic of “A.A. and Spanish Speakers.”

We meet on the 3rd Sunday of each month at 2:30 pm at Central Office, 1821 Sacramento Street in San Francisco.

Orientation, Trevor J. Tonight Chris, Doug and Kristi are our new IGRs. Reminder: Dr. Bob was a big supporter of Intergroup … you can be too!

Sunshine Club, Ann M. Four meetings were brought to the sick (a little slow). The next Sunshine Club orientation will be on Wednesday November 13, 2019, at 6:00 pm at Central Office, 1821 Sacramento Street in San Francisco.

Technology, Taran R. We are working on some “cool stuff”! the Chair position is still open to be rotated into. We are also in need for a Graphic Designer. Taran attended the National A.A. Technology Workshop in Bowling Green, Kentucky. We meet on the 1st Monday of each month at 6:00 at Central Office, 1821 Sacramento Street in San Francisco.

Service Committee Liaison Reports

General Service, District 6, Steve This is a reminder that SF Unity Day will be at the Urban Life Center. We will be having discussions of “Remote Communities” and “Safety in A.A.” during the afternoon session plus a number of Service Committee orientations. CNCA now has a new treasurer in place. The Area Assembly will be on Saturday, November 2, 2019, at St. Mary’s in San Francisco. We will be discussing the 5th Edition of the Big Book. We will also talk about Area Inventory. We are in need of “shushers” to help control the crowd. The Pre-Assembly Dinner needs support.

Marin Teleservice, Carlos Everything with teleservice is going well. Sign up through the internet. We will have booth at Unity Day Marin, Saturday, October 19, 2019.

New Business

Email Communications Strategy, Michael P. We are seeking input about new email communications. We’ve talked about our existing newsletters such as The Buzz and The Point. It’s possible to create a few new newsletters in addition to the ones we have such as Intergroup News, which contains information about Intergroup business, the Secretary’s Monthly / Trusted Servants News. Could these increase engagement? Proposing Intergroup create a Newsletter Committee that would unify all these newsletters. Question: Can anyone subscribe to the existing newsletters? Answer: Yes, they are all public and currently on the website. Temperature was taken and there was interest in pursuing this further.

Old Business

Intergroup Committee Chairs – Elections, Term Length & Rotation, Voting Rights, Alan G. Do we want to have committees put forth chairs for Intergroup to vote on?  This is the current By-Laws temperature taken: Intergroup wants to follow the By-Laws and does not need a motion. Term Limits of Committee chairs? Not outlined in By-Laws. Temperature was taken about 2-year Term Limits.  Archivist’s do it a little differently: 2 years is not enough. There was a clarification that this does not mean they would leave the committee after the term limit. There was a suggestion to limit the scope of the motion to being “advisory” while changing the By-Laws. A question was posed to people who went to National Conventions about other Intergroup “best practices”: N.A.A.T.W. has its own steering committee which is elected via the 3rd Legacy, although instant-runoff was attempted this year (not done). The motion was tabled until next month. Should non-IGR Committee Chairs get a vote?Question: What is the rationale for not having voting power? Answer: They do not represent a group, so they shouldn’t have a vote. Question: Do Committee Chairs come to the Intergroup meeting? Answer: They usually do in order to make their report. The temperature was taken about how non-voting members feel about not being able to vote. A motion was made by Alex: Committee Chairs that are not IGRs have the right to vote at Intergroup meetings. Clarification: This is a vote to recommend change to the By-Laws that will be taken up by the Governance Committee. The motion passed, 32 yay, 2 nay and 1 abstention. Minority Opinion:  Chairs are not representing groups. If you want to vote, find a new meeting to represent at Intergroup in order to get your voting rights back.

What’s On Your Mind?

Drew will not be able to attend next month; Alix will fill in.  (Thank you, Alix!)

Targeted Message

  • November is Gratitude Month!
  • Remind your Group Treasurer to ask if your group wants to pass a 2nd basket for Gratitude
  • Communicate what Intergroup is and does; each of us is part of the Outreach Committee

Adjourn with the Responsibility Statement

Next Intergroup Meeting: Wednesday, November 6, 2019, 7:00 pm, at St. Andrew Presbyterian Church, 101 Donahue Street in Sausalito. Orientation is at 6:00 pm, dinner is served at 6:30 pm.

Treasurer’s Report

Month Ended August 2019

For August 2019, Total Revenue was $31,090, this was over budget by $7,266 due to a large Individual Contribution (bequest). Total Revenue is $4,552 under budget year to date.

Total Operating Expense for August was $21,301, under budget by $7,107, due to lower than expected committee costs, employee expenses, and timing of expenses.

The result is a Net Operating Surplus of $9,789 for the month. This leaves the fellowship with a $1,181 surplus year to date.   

Group Contributions for August were $16,024, under budget by $2,423. Group contributions are $3,377 under budget year to date. Individual Contributions for August were $12,646, over budget by $9,978. Individual contributions are $2,832 under budget year to date.

Total Unrestricted Cash for August 2019 was $84,895, an increase of $16,423 from July 2019.  Unrestricted Cash is about 3.5x monthly operating expenses.

The rating for August 2019 is “Excellent”.



Every month we rate our monthly finances as “Excellent”, “Good”, “Fair” or “Poor”.  Generally speaking, here are the definitions of those terms:

EXCELLENT:  We exceeded our budget.  Our income was greater than our expenses for the month and we have more than two months’ worth of operating expenses in unrestricted cash balances.  Operating expenses are roughly $24K/month, so we’d have over $48K in unrestricted cash balances for the month.  The Intergroup rating has been “excellent” since December 2016.

GOOD: We are meeting our budget.  Our income for the month, or for the YTD, was slightly greater than our expenses and we’d have approximately 1.5 – 2 months of operating expenses in unrestricted cash balances.

FAIR: We are not meeting our budget.  Our expenses were greater than our income for the month and for the YTD – and our unrestricted cash balance would be somewhere between 1 and 1.5x our operating expenses.

POOR: We are not meeting our budget and our unrestricted cash balances fell below one month of operating expenses. The last time we were “poor” was in October 2016.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email